Success Story: Hospitals
Quiron Hospital (Spain)
OPEX reduction for energy savings of 17% to 38%
We estimate the CAPEX reduction as about 20% versus traditional, non integrated approach
I. CUSTOMER ENVIRONMENT / PROJECT CONTEXT
Quirón Group in Spain is one the most important private hospital groups in the country, with 6 campuses in Valence, San Sebastián, Zaragossa (2), Madrid, Barcelona, and 3 projects Valencia, Bilbao, and Seville.
The Quirón Group in Figures:
160.620 m2 of medical floor area
Customer objective and constraints:
- Quiron Hospital in Madrid is a health center that conciliate the best of public health (medical staff, technicians, investigation) and the private (installations, treatment, etc).
- The main goal is become a reference in the private health in Spain through: Singular Building, High technology, Prestige attention, Investigation, Comfort and Confidence for the patient.
Quirón's main needs that were addressed in this project included:
- Continuity of service
- Comfort and safety
- Maitanence guarantee
- Cost effectiveness
II. SOLUTION IMPLEMENTATION
Implementation methodology (main phases):
Quiron Hospital project has supposed an important milestone: "To be an integrated Total Schneider Solution".
This was possible thanks to:
- Coordination between the different teams involves in Madrid and Barcelona.
- Customer confidence through 1 Single Point Of Contact to the customer
- Economic and technical proposal fitting customer's need
- Win-Win negotiation
Solution over view (service, products, systems, architectures.....):
Schneider Electric provided an integrated solution for the whole infrastructure of a hospital, including HVAC, security, power management, lighting control, and supervision systems. TAC Vista integrates all subsystems within the building, including heating and cooling in operatiing rooms, regulation and control of air-treatment unit, alarm managment, and CCTV. Low voltage Okken switch board supplies the main switch boards of the hospital, and integrates the necessary signals for operation and supervision with the Advantix STB modules communicated by Ethernet with the main PLC.
Services and maintenance optimization includes guaranteed work and materials for 2 years, with 24-hour service during those two years. Training support, annual forfait for maintenance, software updates and control system maintenance are also included.
How did we estimate the energy savings (methodology, tools, ...)
TAC Vista building managment sytem offered energy savings by controlling the following:
- Zone scheduling: Defined hospital areas that could reduce or shutdown HVAC and lighting according to a set schedule.
- Night/Unoccupied setback: HVAC comfort settings are changed during unoccupied hours.
- Optimum start: Determines latest possible time for HVAC equipment to start and bring building setpoints to comfort levels for occupancy.
- Optimum stop: Determines earliest possible time to initiate setback temperatures before unoccupied periods, while still maintaining comfort.
- Variable frequency drivers: Optimized the power consumed by HVAC fans and pumps. Using VFDs, a 20% reduction in fan speed results in a 49% decrease in electrical consumption.
III. RESULTS / ACHIEVEMENT
The first benefit Quiron Hospital got in this project is cost effectivenness:
- They got a CAPEX reduction thanks to integrated solution, reducing cabling and commissionning, reducing the numbers of gateways and interface, and allow the devices to be shared between application. We estimate this CAPEX reduction as about 20% versus traditional, non integrated approach.
- They got an OPEX reduction for Energy savings of 17% to 38% thanks to thanks to a combination of:
- Efficient devices and efficient installation (10 to 15 %)
- Optimized usage of installation and devices (5 to 15%), through the right scheduling, and optimised regulation
- Permanent monitoring and improvement program (2 to 8%)
The second benefit they got is reliability:
- Reliability during the project, thanks to integrated, pre-tested solutions, and a project manager "single point of contact" managing the different project risks (cost, perfomance, delay)
- Reliability during the facility operation as thanks to integration the installation is simpler, with less cables, easier to maintain, and all the information are concentrated at the right place for the right persons.
The third benefit is flexibility and evolutivity:
- Thanks to the use of standards and open communication means, Quiron Hospital is in a good position to face the evolutions occurring frequently in this type of facilities (addition of a new building, new medical equipment,...)
Schneider Electric differentiating values VS competitors:
Schneider Electric differentiates themselves from competitors by:
- Developing good relationships with the owner and main contractors.
- Increasing customer confidence and savings.
- Providing a single point of contact for the whole project.